(I received this subscription for free and was compensated for my time. I was not required to give a positive review and all opinions are mine. This post contains affiliate links; please see disclosure for more information.)
Planning is not my thing. I don’t create bullet journals nor excel spreadsheets. You’re more likely to find a dozen spiral notebooks scattered about in an attempt to help me remember things, Some days it works, and other days I spend too much time searching for the right notebook.
So when offered the opportunity to give Homeschool Planet by Homeschool Buyers Co-op a try, I thought it couldn’t hurt. I could certainly use a little more organization and record keeping in my homeschool.
What is Homeschool Planet
Homeschool Planet is an online planner that not only organizes your homeschool but can also help you organize your home and life.
Here are a few of its extensive features:
- Easily add assignments and have it repeat through your schedule effortlessly. No need to write it down or type it in over and over again.
- Add personal items to your schedule such as doctors appointments and field trips.
- Receive a daily email with your scheduled tasks for the day listed.
- If attendance is required by your state, you can track it here and print a report.
- Record grades and create a transcript.
- Create a shopping list and even text it to yourself or someone else.
All of these features would be beneficial to a traditional homeschooler, but we’re not so traditional, so how did I use Homeschool Planet for my relaxed homeschool?
How I Use Homeschool Planet in a Relaxed Homeschool
Our homeschool is a fluid and more about living a life of learning, so how did I use Homeschool Planet?
There are certain things we work on in a more focused manner, so I was able to add those to our schedule. This helps me remember to do the next thing. Also, maybe I’m the only one with this problem, but it helps me keep track of where we are with resources I can’t easily say “do the next page” for.
I can also use it to do what I call planning in reverse or just documenting the things we do. Co-op day is included in our schedule, and at the end of the day, I ask each child what they did or talked about and add it to the notes for that day.
It’s also easy to add to your schedule on a day that has already passed. This fall, my oldest three visited our State Supreme Court and participated in a mock trial. By clicking on that day, I was able to add a class for that day only, choose Civics/Government as the subject, and add notes about what they did that day.
At the end of the year, I can print out a completed assignment list for each child that will include all those field trips and unusual activities we have done.
What is the Homeschool Planet Lesson Plan Marketplace
Another added benefit of Homeschool Planet is their Lesson Plan Marketplace.
For those of you, like me, who find dividing up resources and scheduling them painful, this is a sanity saver. You purchase the lesson plan, answer some questions, and it is magically added to your schedule.
Some of the lesson plans are for highly scheduled programs, but even as a more relaxed homeschooler, there are many we would use. I was excited to see Brave Writer and Life of Fred available, as well as Math Mammoth and All About Spelling.
To see this feature in action, you can take advantage of their free Virtual Field Trips Lesson Plan. This will allow you to virtually tour the U.S. Capital, Mark Twain’s home, the solar system, and more.
Why I’ll Continue to Use Homeschool Planet
I’m always skeptical of planners because I have a track record of being a miserable failure in follow through. However, using Homeschool Planet has made me think maybe I can do this and it will be beneficial to our family.
Here are the some of the benefits for our family:
- I’ve added a lot of assignments for my oldest which she can access online. This has given her control over her time and she is accomplishing more than ever. Plus, it’s not for me to remember nor prompt her in what she needs to complete.
- Since even I need prompting, it tells me what I intended to accomplish in a given day. By filling in the online planner, I’ve created a little mom accountability for myself. It feels pretty good when you check one of those completed boxes.
- Using the online planner also helps me feel better about our homeschool and assuage some of the stress I feel at times. At the end of the year, I’ll be able to see all the things we did do and not just have regret over the things we didn’t do.
Try Homeschool Planet for Free
Would you like to give online planning a try? Take advantage of their 30-day free trial and see for yourself.
Connect With Homeschool Buyers Co-op Online
Learn more about Homeschool Planet and it’s extensive planning features by visiting Homeschool Buyers Co-op online and connecting with them on social media.